What is the Delta Marsh Birding Festival?
A birding festival is:
1. An occasion for celebrating the wonders of birds.
2. A joyous gathering of people who watch birds.
3. An opportunity to help local business through birding tourism.
4. A clever and effective way to promote bird and habitat conservation.
The Delta Marsh Birding Festival will showcase the world famous Delta Marsh. This site was designated as an “Important Bird Area” (IBA) by Bird Studies Canada in 1999. The dates for the festival coincide with the predicted height of the warbler migration.
Highlights of the event are:
- Daily guided birding tours at Delta Marsh and surrounding area
- Self-guided bird destination spots near marsh
- Banquet with guest speaker
- Fish fry with guest speaker
- Nature Photography Workshop
- Bird interpretive activities for the general public
- Birding program and Delta Marsh bird checklist
- Bird banding on site at the Delta Marsh Field Station
Heidi den Haan
Delta Marsh Field Station (University of Manitoba)
Portage Natural History Group
Ducks Unlimited Canada
Woodlot Association of Manitoba